The time has come to clothe our champions. Rather than brightly colored, tight fitting, moisture-wicking sports apparel be-logoed with your brand of choice, I decided to go a bit retro. Ancient Greece retro…or something to that effect. Yes, I realize nether costume is historically accurate, but that isn’t my goal here.
The male figure was by far the simplest, obviously, since he’s wearing almost nothing. The technique was actually much the same as painting the flesh tones…I even used the same palette. I was able to relax a little and move faster though. Small adjustments to or difference in size or placement of folds in the fabric are much less obvious and/or disturbing as would be the same changes to actual anatomy. The play of light is still important though. It has to be consistent with the rest of the figure. I actually sequestered the brightest white values and made them off-limits while painting the reflected light on the left side.
The female champion’s drapery took considerably more work, in part because there is considerably more of it but also because it is more form fitting in parts and required more attention to detail in order to maintain the form of the figure underneath the fabric. The drop off of light is also more extreme and happens over a larger distance. As I moved down the figure, I incrementally and subtly darkened the lightest whites on the palette.
Finally, before painting the torches and the backgrounds, I finished the second laurel wreath.
Here’s a shot of both canvasses on the easel, almost finished. In the next and final step, I’ll give both champions a little fire to play with. Stay tuned…..